- skill as commander of a large military force or unit.
- the rank or functions of a general.
- management or leadership.
Origin of generalship
Related Words for generalshipstratagem, campaign, move, course, defense, technique, ploy, system, way, policy, scheme, approach, method, maneuver, means, tack, plan, disposition, device, line
Examples from the Web for generalship
Historical Examples of generalship
Let us begin from the time when I assumed my generalship, if that is early enough.Cyropaedia
This was a man who had a standing battle with Xenophon about the generalship of the army.Anabasis
Yet surely (replied Socrates) that is only an infinitesimal part of generalship.The Memorabilia
It is the last bit of generalship remaining—a change of front—a change of front!'Lord Kilgobbin
The Hermitage that night proved a fitting field for her generalship.The Genius
Margaret Horton Potter
- the art or duties of exercising command of a major military formation or formations
- tactical or administrative skill