- an object of derision, scorn, manipulation, or the like: He was an easy mark for criticism.
- the intended victim of a swindler, hustler, or the like: The cardsharps picked their marks from among the tourists on the cruise ship.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to mar or deface with marks.
- to mark with notations or symbols.
- to fix the selling price of (an article) by adding to the seller's cost an amount to cover expenses and profit: to mark up dresses 50 percent.
- to increase the selling price of.
- to make corrections or changes to (written or printed text).
- to indicate detailed instructions concerning the format, style, or structure for (a manuscript to be typeset, an electronic document, or a web page).
Words nearby mark
Idioms for mark
Origin of mark1
Definition for get ready (2 of 2)
adjective, read·i·er, read·i·est.
verb (used with object), read·ied, read·y·ing.
Origin of ready
SYNONYMS FOR ready
OTHER WORDS FROM readyo·ver·read·y, adjectivepre·read·y, adjective
usage note for ready
British Dictionary definitions for get ready (1 of 4)
noun New Testament
British Dictionary definitions for get ready (2 of 4)
- model, brand, or typethe car is a Mark 4
- a variation on a particular modela Mark 3 Cortina
- to move the feet alternately as in marching but without advancing
- to act in a mechanical and routine way
- to halt progress temporarily, while awaiting developments
Word Origin for mark
British Dictionary definitions for get ready (3 of 4)
Word Origin for mark
British Dictionary definitions for get ready (4 of 4)
adjective readier or readiest
- poised for use or actionwith pen at the ready
- (of a rifle) in the position normally adopted immediately prior to aiming and firing
Word Origin for ready
Medical definitions for get ready
Idioms and Phrases with get ready (1 of 3)
Also, make ready. Become prepared or make preparations for something. For example, It'll take me another hour to get ready for the painter, or Jane promised to make the room ready for our guests. [Late 1500s] Also see get set.
Idioms and Phrases with get ready (2 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with mark
- mark down
- marked man, a
- mark my words
- mark time
- mark up
- beside the point (mark)
- black mark
- give bad marks to
- high-water mark
- hit the bull's-eye (mark)
- make one's mark
- off the mark
- quick off the mark
- toe the line (mark)
- up to par (the mark)
- wide of the mark
- x marks the spot
Idioms and Phrases with get ready (3 of 3)
In addition to the idiom beginning with ready
, also see
- at the ready
- get ready
- good and (ready)
- rough and ready