[jahy-gan-tiz-uh m, ji-, jahy-gan-tiz-uh m]
- abnormally great development in size or stature of the whole body or of parts of the body, most often due to dysfunction of the pituitary gland.
Origin of gigantism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for gigantismbigness, enormity, vastness, massiveness, largeness, magnitude, greatness, enormousness, gigantism, bulkiness, hugeness, monstrousness
Examples from the Web for gigantism
Contemporary Examples of gigantism
Others who, because of a tumor in the pituitary gland, may overproduce HGH develop a different problem: gigantism.Is HGH, Allegedly Alex Rodriguez’s Drug of Choice, Really So Bad?
August 1, 2013
Historical Examples of gigantism
- Also called: giantism excessive growth of the entire body, caused by over-production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland during childhood or adolescenceCompare acromegaly
- the state or quality of being gigantic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The quality or state of being gigantic; abnormally large size.
- Excessive growth of the body or any of its parts, especially as a result of oversecretion of the growth hormone by the pituitary gland.giantism
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.