- an undeveloped or agricultural tract of land that is a potential site for industrial or urban development.
- a city in SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee.
- a city in NW Massachusetts.
- a town in central Indiana.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for greenfield
“This is what you call perseverance, ladies and gentlemen,” Greenfield said.How Brooklyn’s First Ice Cream Girl Fought City Hall–and Won
October 13, 2014
Darci Brown, owner of a car dealership in Greenfield, Mass., has bred dogs as a hobby for 30 years.The Sleazy War on the Humane Society
Center for Public Integrity
August 18, 2014
Greenfield pointed out that the election, of course, will not be held next week.Plouffe: Hillary Clinton ‘Probably the Strongest Candidate’ for 2016
March 18, 2013
When asked why he and Greenfield have such great chemistry on the show, he pauses.Jake Johnson on His SXSW Comedy ‘Drinking Buddies,’ ‘New Girl’ Success
March 16, 2013
After graduating from Harvard, Greenfield entered the world of photography with one eye on anthropology and sociology.‘The Queen of Versailles’: Lauren Greenfield’s New Documentary
May 23, 2012
When he was there the farm was known as the Greenfield farm.The Citizen-Soldier
“Greenfield senior,” said Loman, flushing quickly as he said the name.
Greenfield,” said he, the moment the boy entered, “when did you see Loman last?
May I ask, Greenfield,” said the Doctor, “why he was in your study last night?
Greenfield does not strike one as nearly so brilliant a fellow as his friend.
- (modifier) denoting or located in a rural area which has not previously been built onnew factories were erected on greenfield sites
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A piece of usually semirural property that is undeveloped except for agricultural use, especially one considered as a site for expanding urban development. Compare brownfield.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.