- variant of gyneco-: gynophore.
Also especially before a vowel, gyn-.
Origin of gyno-
< Greek, combining form of gynḗ
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
before a vowel gyn-
- relating to women; femalegynarchy
- denoting a female reproductive organgynophore
from Greek, from gunē woman
Word Origin and History for gyno-
word-forming element equivalent to gyneco-.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Woman; female:gynandromorphism.
- Female reproductive organ or system:gynoplastics.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.