- a person who has a high level of skill in computer technology or programming; a computer expert or enthusiast: My brother is a real hacker—he fixed my laptop in no time.
- a person who circumvents security and breaks into a network, computer, file, etc., usually with malicious intent: A hacker got into my computer remotely and wiped my hard drive! The company has hired hackers to test system security.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PUNCTUATION QUIZ
Words nearby hacker
Definition for hacker (2 of 2)
- a horse kept for common hire or adapted for general work, especially ordinary riding.
- a saddle horse used for transportation, rather than for show, hunting, or the like.
- a taxi.
- Also hackie. a cabdriver.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Origin of hack2
Example sentences from the Web for hacker
Until recently, the hacker collective known as Lizard Squad was all but unknown.
In the real world, he said, a hacker is more likely interested in stealing records he can sell than in harming a patient.
Four days later, 4.6 million Snapchat usernames and phone numbers were compromised and leaked online by a hacker.‘The Snappening’ Is Real: 90,000 Private Photos and 9,000 Hacked Snapchat Videos Leak Online|Marlow Stern|October 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The hacker group Anonymous blew it—and tormented a woman not connected to the shooting of Michael Brown.
Snowden gives the hacker community its marching orders: Fight surveillance by making privacy tools for everyone.
"Mrs. Hacker's married daughter Sarah was a widow," said she, to give the conversation a lift.It Never Can Happen Again|William De Morgan
Any complex system is sport for a hacker; a side effect of this is the hacker's natural affinity for problems involving security.Little Brother|Cory Doctorow
"Hacker naturally thinks that your brother is still living," explained Charity.The Torch and Other Tales|Eden Phillpotts
The bishop and Hacker melted into tears as they bade their master farewell.Charles I|Jacob Abbott
William Lowther was the son of Robert, and came with his father to the Hacker creek settlement in 1772.Chronicles of Border Warfare|Alexander Scott Withers
British Dictionary definitions for hacker (1 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for hacker (2 of 4)
Word Origin for hack
British Dictionary definitions for hacker (3 of 4)
- a cab driver
- a taxi