- an edible fish, Medialuna californiensis, found in southern California, having a slate-gray body.
Origin of halfmoon
- the moon when, at either quadrature, half its disk is illuminated.
- the phase of the moon at this time.
- something having the shape of a half-moon or crescent.
Origin of half-moon
Related Words for halfmoonarch, trajectory, arc, contour, loop, curvature, bow, crescent, round, bend, half-moon, satellite, pumpkin, planetoid, curve, meniscus, sickle, swerve, sweep, hairpin
Examples from the Web for halfmoon
Historical Examples of halfmoon
It was past ten when the phaeton turned into Halfmoon Street.Aurora Floyd, Vol. III (of 3)
M. E. (Mary Elizabeth) Braddon
He went away from Halfmoon Street with reassurances for the countess.The Vanity Girl
I'll ride to Halfmoon Flat for the constable and a posse to put a stop to this.The Heritage of the Hills
Arthur P. Hankins
Half an hour later they stepped to the deck of the Halfmoon.
It almost changed his estimate of the passenger of the Halfmoon.
- the moon at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated
- the time at which a half-moon occurs
- something shaped like a half-moon
- (as modifier)half-moon spectacles
- anatomy a nontechnical name for lunula