- within easy reach; conveniently available; accessible: The aspirins are handy.
- convenient or useful: A typewriter is a handy thing to have in the house.
- skillful with the hands; deft; dexterous: a handy person.
- easily maneuvered: a handy ship.
Origin of handy
Synonyms for handySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for handinessdexterity, genius, ingenuity, quickness, propensity, aptitude, savvy, skill, flair, willingness, keenness, preparation, preparedness, fitness, artistry, accomplishment, prowess, art, intelligence, technique
Examples from the Web for handiness
Historical Examples of handiness
No doubt he slipped in and out with almost the handiness with which one might crack a whip.Woodcraft
He has been invaluable with his sailor's resources and handiness.The Daisy Chain
Despite his cunning and the handiness of his craft, Dick has not always come off scot-free.Gwen Wynn
I've heard about your handiness with the thrust buckets on the cruisers.Danger in Deep Space
When the 'Ariel'—for so they called her—arrived, the friends were delighted with her speed and handiness.Shelley
- conveniently or easily within reach
- easy to manoeuvre, handle, or usea handy tool
- skilful with one's hands
- W (illiam) C (hristopher). 1873–1958, US blues musician and songwriter, esp noted for the song "St Louis Blues"
see come in handy.