- made or constructed of hardwood: a hardwood floor.
Origin of hardwood
Related Words for hardwoodforest, log, hardwood, sapling, shrub, wood, timber, seedling, girder, rafter, balk, club, grove, stake, woodland, beam, pole, woods, board, frame
Examples from the Web for hardwood
Contemporary Examples of hardwood
They sat stock-still on the hardwood benches of the dank, makeshift cinema in Monrovia.Liberian Nostalgia for War Criminal Charles Taylor
April 28, 2012
Watch as the commander-in-chief hits the hardwood in a 3-on-3 tournament with a group of local high school students.Obama’s 11 Most Badass Moments (Videos)
April 25, 2012
That said, it is a chic alternative to hardwood floors and baby blues.Gal With a Suitcase
June 18, 2010
Historical Examples of hardwood
The cases of the "A" batteries are made of hardwood, finished in an ebonite black.
The case is made of hardwood, and is varnished to match cabinet work.
Silver glittered about the flintlock and the hardwood stock of his gun.The Rescue
He had simply to drive them from one hardwood belt to another.Blazed Trail Stories
Stewart Edward White
I was often glad of her thirty-six inches of hardwood covering.A Labrador Doctor
Wilfred Thomason Grenfell
- the wood of any of numerous broad-leaved dicotyledonous trees, such as oak, beech, ash, etc, as distinguished from the wood of a conifer
- any tree from which this wood is obtained
- A eudicot or magnoliid tree, especially as distinguished from a coniferous, or softwood, tree.
- The wood of a eudicot or magnoliid tree. Hardwoods are in general harder than softwood. However, some hardwoods, such as basswood, are comparatively soft, while some softwoods, such as yew, are comparatively hard.