- a dish of diced or chopped meat and often vegetables, as of leftover corned beef or veal and potatoes, sautéed in a frying pan or of meat, potatoes, and carrots cooked together in gravy.
- a mess, jumble, or muddle: a hash of unorganized facts and figures.
- a reworking of old and familiar material: This essay is a hash of several earlier and better works.
- Computers. garbage(def 7).
- Radio and Television Slang. electrical noise on a radio or snow in a television picture caused by interfering outside sources that generate sparking.
- to chop into small pieces; make into hash; mince.
- to muddle or mess up: We thought we knew our parts, but when the play began we hashed the whole thing.
- to discuss or review (something) thoroughly (often followed by out): They hashed out every aspect of the issue.
- hash over, to bring up again for consideration; discuss, especially in review: At the class reunion they hashed over their college days.
- make a hash of, to spoil or botch: The new writer made a hash of his first assignment.
- settle someone's hash, Informal. to get rid of; subdue: Her blunt reply really settled my hash.
Origin of hash1
Synonyms for hashSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Origin of hash2
Related Words for hashstew, salmagundi, hodgepodge, confusion, muddle, medley, litter, clutter, shambles, miscellany, jumble, assortment, mishmash, hotchpotch
Examples from the Web for hash
Contemporary Examples of hash
And they'll sit down to hash out the important concerns of both sides.Hopes for Religion in 2014 Include Tolerance, More Women, Less Politics
December 22, 2013
Despite the vests, a guy walked up and tried to sell them hash.The Devil’s Drug: The True Story of Meth in New Mexico
August 24, 2013
From T-shirts to placards to hash tags, “Where is Amarildo?”Rio’s Security Crisis
August 7, 2013
Once successfully in, I can see my Hash 160 and Taint Analysis, among other things.My Bitcoin (Mis)adventure
April 4, 2013
Others make hash, hash oil, and specialty bud with more than 25 percent THC.Why Legalizing Marijuana on Election Day Might Not Be a Good Idea
October 29, 2012
Historical Examples of hash
There is no definition for this word—nobody knows what hash is.The Devil's Dictionary
As for poor Talien, who was playing Don Guritan, he made a hash of it every minute.My Double Life
Rub it through a sieve, return it to the stewpan, put in the hash, and let it stand by the side of the fire till the meat is warm.
He had supper with the boys, and his food was hash and tea and dry bread.The Night Riders
The landlady admitted that a souffle was something not unlike a hash.Cap'n Warren's Wards
Joseph C. Lincoln
- a dish of diced cooked meat, vegetables, etc, reheated in a sauce
- something mixed up
- a reuse or rework of old material
- make a hash of informal
- to mix or mess up
- to defeat or destroy
- settle someone's hash or fix someone's hash informal to subdue or silence someone
- to chop into small pieces
- to mix or mess up
Word Origin for hash
- slang short for hashish
- the character (#) used to precede a number
- this sign used in printing or writing to indicate that a space should be inserted
Word Origin and History for hash
1650s, "to hack, chop into small pieces," from French hacher "chop up," from Old French hache "ax" (see hatchet). Hash browns is short for hash browned potatoes (1917), with the -ed omitted, as in mash potatoes. The hash marks on a football field were so called 1960s, from similarity to hash marks, armed forces slang for "service stripes on the sleeve of a military uniform" (1909), which supposedly were called that because they mark the number of years one has had free food (hash (n.1)) from the Army; but perhaps there is a connection with the noun form of hatch (v.2).
short for hashish, 1959.
"a stew," 1660s, from hash (v.). Meaning "a mix, a mess" is from 1735.
Idioms and Phrases with hash
In addition to the idiom beginning with hash
- hash over
- make a hash of
- settle someone's hash
- sling hash