[hash-eesh, -ish, ha-sheesh, hah-]
- the flowering tops and leaves of Indian hemp smoked, chewed, or drunk as a narcotic and intoxicant.
- the dried resinous exudate of the flowering tops of this plant, containing larger amounts of the active ingredient.
Also hash·eesh [hah-sheesh, hah-sheesh] /ˈhɑ ʃiʃ, hɑˈʃiʃ/.
Origin of hashish
First recorded in 1590–1600, hashish is from the Arabic word hashīsh literally, dry vegetation (e.g., hay)
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hashish
An Arab legend has it that the intoxicating effects of hashish were discovered by an ascetic monk in 1155.
John Greenleaf Whittier was one of the first American writers to deal with the subject when he published The Hashish in 1854.
His only run-in with the law has been for possession of hashish on the beach near his hometown Bari.Will Knox's Boyfriend Sacrifice Himself?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
June 19, 2009
Marijuana plantations and hashish production are, of course, nothing new in Lebanon.Hezbollah Profits From Hash as Syria Goes to Pot
July 9, 2014
She swallowed the hashish, swayed, and fell forward into his arms.The Figure In The Mirage
The powder in question is apparently a preparation of hashish or hemp.The Decameron of Giovanni Boccaccio
I have committed a grave folly; but I am neither an abductor nor a hashish dealer.
It is only those who do not understand the cotton industry that speak of hashish.
Succeeding the study on hashish is one on the subject of opium.Charles Baudelaire, His Life
- a purified resinous extract of the dried flower tops of the female hemp plant, used as a hallucinogenicSee also cannabis
- any hallucinogenic substance prepared from this resin
C16: from Arabic hashīsh hemp, dried herbage
Word Origin and History for hashish
1590s, from Arabic hashish "powdered hemp," literally "dry herb," from hashsha "it became dry, it dried up."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
hashish(hăsh′ēsh′, -ĭsh, hă-shēsh′, hä-)
- A purified resin prepared from the flowering tops of the female cannabis plant and smoked or chewed as a narcotic or an intoxicant.