- an elevated region; plateau: He moved to a highland far from the river.
- highlands, a mountainous region or elevated part of a country.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of highlands.
Origin of highland
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- a region in N Scotland, including a number of the Inner Hebrides. 9710 sq. mi. (25,148 sq. km).
- a city in NW Indiana, near Chicago.
- British. West Highland.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for highland
You will find winding pasture for sheep and highland cattle.Ester Elchies, The Estate Built By Whiskey
December 10, 2014
Highland Park knows tacos and just being in this neighborhood makes me happy.Roy Choi’s Favorite L.A. Food Trucks
May 9, 2014
The funeral was scheduled for Tuesday at a Highland Park synagogue, and Peters was among those expected to speak.Aaron Swartz’s Unbending Prosecutors Insisted on Prison Time
January 15, 2013
I have to emphasize that Bulgarian bagpipes do not look like Scottish Highland bagpipes.Maggie Stiefvater Talks New Novel ‘The Raven Boys,’ Fast Cars, and YA Fiction
September 28, 2012
Then it dawned on Drumsheugh that the doctor was attempting the Highland fling.A Doctor of the Old School, Part 3
On the same day we marched away from Hodeida to the highland.
The history of Sutherland, as a county, differs from all our other Highland districts.Leading Articles on Various Subjects
As he neared Highland, three of them darted directly into his path.
Another clawed at him as he swept around the corner to Highland.
- relatively high ground
- (modifier) of or relating to a highland
- a council area in N Scotland, formed in 1975 (as Highland Region) from Caithness, Sutherland, Nairnshire, most of Inverness-shire, and Ross and Cromarty except for the Outer Hebrides. Administrative centre: Inverness. Pop: 209 080 (2003 est). Area: 25 149 sq km (9710 sq miles)
- (modifier) of, relating to, or denoting the Highlands of Scotland
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for highland
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper