- the branch of biology dealing with the study of tissues.
- the structure, especially the microscopic structure, of organic tissues.
Origin of histology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for histological
The eyes were taken out and prepared for histological study.
The histological elements become more differentiated, and a few organs reach a fuller development.The Works of Francis Maitland Balfour, Volume III (of 4)
Francis Maitland Balfour
Histological cross-sections, prepared by A. Wayne Wiens, of the ventral epidermis of both sexes were used to study brood patches.
Relation of temperature to anthesis and blossom drop of the tomato together with a histological study of the pistils.The Tomato
In many cases which have been described as primary atrophy the histological investigation of the stomach has been very defective.
- the study, esp the microscopic study, of the tissues of an animal or plant
- the structure of a tissue or organ
Word Origin and History for histological
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The science concerned with the minute structure of tissues and organs in relation to their function.microanatomy
- The scientific study of the microscopic structure of plant and animal tissues.