- gray or white with age: an old dog with a hoary muzzle.
- ancient or venerable: hoary myths.
- tedious from familiarity; stale: Please don't tell that hoary joke at dinner again tonight.
Origin of hoary
SynonymsSee more synonyms for hoary on Thesaurus.com
1. grizzled, grizzly; hoar. 2. old, dated, aged; venerated, revered.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hoary
One hoary tower only is seen, half hidden by the folds of a valley.The Roof of France
My stockings all want to see my mother, and my hat is hoary with age.'Heroes of the Telegraph
He listened with eager docility to the voice of hoary wisdom.
I will listen with coolness to the voice of native sagacity and hoary experience.
On the contrary, I look upon you as a swaggering bully and a hoary villain.The Frozen Pirate
W. Clark Russell
- having grey or white hair
- white or whitish-grey in colour
- ancient or venerable
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hoary
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper