- gray or white with age: an old dog with a hoary muzzle.
- ancient or venerable: hoary myths.
- tedious from familiarity; stale: Please don't tell that hoary joke at dinner again tonight.
Origin of hoary
Synonyms for hoarySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for hoaryantiquated, timeworn, age-old, aged, antique, elderly, old, old-fashioned, older, out-of-date, relic, rusty, venerable, oldie, frosty, graying, silvery, white-haired, whitish
Examples from the Web for hoary
Contemporary Examples of hoary
Historical Examples of hoary
One hoary tower only is seen, half hidden by the folds of a valley.The Roof of France
My stockings all want to see my mother, and my hat is hoary with age.'Heroes of the Telegraph
He listened with eager docility to the voice of hoary wisdom.
I will listen with coolness to the voice of native sagacity and hoary experience.
On the contrary, I look upon you as a swaggering bully and a hoary villain.The Frozen Pirate
W. Clark Russell
- having grey or white hair
- white or whitish-grey in colour
- ancient or venerable