- given for honor only, without the usual requirements, duties, privileges, emoluments, etc.: The university presented the new governor with an honorary degree.
- holding a title or position conferred for honor only: an honorary president.
- (of an obligation) depending on one's honor for fulfillment.
- conferring or commemorating honor or distinction.
- given, made, or serving as a token of honor: an honorary gift.
Origin of honorary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (esp of a position, title, etc) held or given only as an honour, without the normal privileges or dutiesan honorary degree
- (of a secretary, treasurer, etc) unpaid
- having such a position or title
- depending on honour rather than legal agreement
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper