- highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account exec.
- displaying skill flamboyantly: a hotshot ballplayer.
- moving, going, or operating without a stop; fast: a hotshot express.
- an impressively successful or skillful and often vain person.
- Railroads. an express freight train.
- a firefighter.
Origin of hotshot
Related Words for hotshotself-assured, fearless, self-reliant, poised, complacent, egotistical, pompous, self-righteous, self-satisfied, brash, self-confident, presumptuous, confident, overconfident, arrogant, impudent, bold, audacious, blatant, unabashed
Examples from the Web for hotshot
Contemporary Examples of hotshot
But, the hotshot billionaire may have some secrets of his own.Business Longreads
November 3, 2013
Whip is a hotshot, sauced-up captain whose substance-abuse habit crash-lands him, quite literally, into a whole heap of trouble.Real Pilots Laugh at ‘Flight’
November 18, 2012
Only Diana was canny enough to hire a hotshot divorce lawyer and extract an unprecedented £17 million settlement.Fergie's Latest Flameout
May 25, 2010
- informal an important person or expert, esp when showy