- a country or region where dangerous or difficult political situations exist or may erupt, especially where a war, revolution, or a belligerent attitude toward other countries exists or may develop: In the 1960s, Vietnam became a hot spot.
- Informal. any area or place of known danger, intrigue, dissension, or instability.
- Informal. a nightclub.
- Photography. an area of a negative or print revealing excessive light on that part of the subject.
- a section of forest or woods where fires frequently occur.
- an area hotter than the surrounding surface, as on the shell of a furnace.
- Digital Technology. a place where users of portable computers or mobile devices can get wireless broadband access to the Internet or another network: how to find free Wi-Fi hot spots.
- Physics. an area of abnormally high radioactivity.
- Geology. a region of molten rock below and within the lithosphere that persists long enough to leave a record of uplift and volcanic activity at the earth's surface.Compare plume(def 10).
- Genetics. a chromosome site or a section of DNA having a high frequency of mutation or recombination.
- Veterinary Pathology. a moist, raw sore on the skin of a dog or cat caused by constant licking of an irritation from an allergic reaction, tangled coat, fleas, etc.
Origin of hot spot
- to stop (a forest fire) at a hot spot.
Origin of hot-spot
Examples from the Web for hotspot
Contemporary Examples of hotspot
Thus far, the most talked-about Green Friday hotspot is Denver dispensary the Grass Station.Colorado Weed Dispensaries Celebrate ‘Green Friday’
November 28, 2014
The closest I come is taking trains to Boston, I guess, and not using the Wi-Fi hotspot Internet (but still using my phone).Seven Things to Do on National Day of Unplugging
March 1, 2013
But people should know that if you travel to any hotspot in the world, 50 photographers are likely already on the ground.Conflict Photographer Eros Hoagland on His Dangerous Craft
November 5, 2012
- an area of potential violence or political unrest
- a lively nightclub or other place of entertainment
- an area of great activity of a specific typethe world's economic hot spots
- any local area of high temperature in a part of an engine, etc
- part of the inlet manifold of a paraffin engine that is heated by exhaust gases to vaporize the fuel
- computing a place where wireless internet, esp broadband, services are provided to users of portable computers through a wireless local area network, such as in an airport, railway station, or library
- a small area on the surface of or within a body with an exceptionally high concentration of radioactivity or of some chemical or mineral considered harmful
- a similar area that generates an abnormal amount of heat, as revealed by thermography
- genetics a part of a chromosome that has a tendency for mutation or recombination
- A region in a gene in which there is a high rate of mutation. Its existence depends on the size of the region concerned, the readiness with which the mutation can be detected, and the possibility that selection against mutants at that point is less than that against mutants elsewhere.
- A volcanic area that forms as a tectonic plate moves over a point heated from deep within the Earth's mantle. The source of the heat is thought to be the decay of radioactive elements. The Hawaiian Islands formed as a series of hot spots. See more at tectonic boundary.