noun, plural hun·dreds, (as after a numeral) hun·dred.
- a hundred-dollar bill.
- the sum of one hundred dollars.
- (in a mixed number) the position of the third digit to the left of the decimal point.
- (in a whole number) the position of the third digit from the right.
Words nearby hundred
Idioms for hundred
Origin of hundred
Examples from the Web for hundreds
Over the next six months hundreds of same-sex couples married.The Real Story Behind the Fight for Marriage Equality|E.J. Graff|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Bad weather is a feature of hundreds of flights across the world every day.
Cricket is a sport enjoyed by hundreds of millions around the globe, mainly in former British colonies.
Hundreds of cops saluting as the bodies were rolled out with a full escort by highway patrol.
Hundreds of years ago the most beautiful women of Havana were only glimpsed stepping in or out of carriages on this street.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind|Brin-Jonathan Butler|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
There were hundreds of other things in the great city, but they had their share of patronage.A Little Girl in Old San Francisco|Amanda Minnie Douglas
The farm was near the Indian camping ground; hundreds of them were often around us.Forty Years Among the Indians|Daniel W. Jones
From hundreds of clippings a few characteristic examples are selected.The Life and Work of Susan B. Anthony (Volume 1 of 2)|Ida Husted Harper
They came, not by hundreds, but by thousands and millions, until the frogs covered all that land.With the Children on Sunday|Sylvanus Stall
There was something in this, for there were hundreds then, where there are now dozens, and it was risky.Some Reminiscences of old Victoria|Edgar Fawcett
British Dictionary definitions for hundreds
noun plural -dreds or -dred
- the numbers 100 to 109the temperature was in the hundreds
- the numbers 100 to 199his score went into the hundreds
- the numbers 100 to 999the price was in the hundreds
- amounting to or approximately a hundreda hundred reasons for that
- (as pronoun)the hundred I chose
Other words from hundredRelated prefix: hecto-
Word Origin for hundred
Idioms and Phrases with hundreds
see by the dozen (hundred).