verb (used without object), hus·tled, hus·tling.
verb (used with object), hus·tled, hus·tling.
- (of a prostitute) to solicit (someone).
- to attempt to persuade (someone) to have sexual relations.
- to promote or publicize in a lively, vigorous, or aggressive manner: an author hustling her new book on the TV talk shows.
- an inducing by fraud, pressure, or deception, especially of inexperienced or uninformed persons, to buy something, to participate in an illicit scheme, dishonest gambling game, etc.
- such a product, scheme, gambling game, etc.
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of hustle
OTHER WORDS FROM hustleouthustle, verb (used with object), out·hus·tled, out·hus·tling.un·hus·tled, adjectiveun·hus·tling, adjective
Words nearby hustle
Example sentences from the Web for hustle
Her hustle has started to pay off and she started a 14-date national tour in early November.
Halfway to the park, the hustle of Goma and outlying villages faded behind him.A Belgian Prince, Gorillas, Guerrillas & the Future of the Congo|Nina Strochlic|November 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Summer vacations should offer a hiatus from the hustle but at the Hamptons everyone is selling or pushing someone or something.The Hell of the Hamptons: Why the Exclusive Hotspot Is a Mind-Numbing Drag|Robert Gold|August 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Back then she was “forced,” but soon she started to hustle on corners “willingly,” and was paid for sex.
Titanic Thompson could beat you at cards, hustle you at golf, and bet you on anything, so long as the odds were in his favor.
Sometimes you'll have to hustle Charnock and sometimes hold him tight.The Girl From Keller's|Harold Bindloss
Then, since you know the Spanish rules, my notion is you ought to have got on a hustle earlier.Kit Musgrave's Luck|Harold Bindloss
"We must hustle, if we want to get to Uncle Ike's before dark," Tom declared.Ruth Fielding and the Gypsies|Alice B. Emerson
You need to hustle it up to Leaping Horse, and on to the camp right away.The Triumph of John Kars|Ridgwell Cullum
Hustle them down as quickly as you can, and then well repay his generosity by giving him a lift to Rosemount.