- Biochemistry. a steroid hormone, C21H30O5, of the adrenal cortex, active in carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
- Pharmacology. Also called cortisol. a powerful anti-inflammatory drug, C21H30O5, used in the treatment of shock, allergies, certain forms of arthritis, and other conditions.
Origin of hydrocortisone
Examples from the Web for hydrocortisone
Contemporary Examples of hydrocortisone
This group includes familiar medicines like hydrocortisone, cortisone, prednisone, and Decadron.Where Were the Doctors to Testify at Roger Clemens’s Perjury Trial?
June 20, 2012
Historical Examples of hydrocortisone
Yes, sir; he was given 300 milligrams of hydrocortisone which is an adrenal hormone.Warren Commission (3 of 26): Hearings Vol. III (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
- the principal glucocorticoid secreted by the adrenal cortex; 17-hydroxycorticosterone. The synthesized form is used mainly in treating rheumatic, allergic, and inflammatory disorders. Formula: C 21 H 30 O 5Also called: cortisol
- A steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex that regulates carbohydrate metabolism and maintains blood pressure.cortisol
- A preparation of this hormone obtained from natural sources or produced synthetically and used to treat inflammatory conditions and adrenal failure.
- A preparation of the hormone cortisol that is obtained naturally or produced synthetically and is used widely in the treatment of inflammatory conditions and allergies.