- of or relating to hydrophobia.
- Chemistry. having little or no affinity for water.
Origin of hydrophobic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hydrophobic
I never was so disappointed in my life because it wasn't a Hydrophobic Skunk at all.
Associated words: rabid, rabietic, hydrophobic, antihydrophobic.Putnam's Word Book
Louis A. Flemming
Mr. Kraus was excused in a state of hydrophobic rage and Teed withdrew in all meekness.In a Little Town
It is not impossible, since Jenner found the vaccine virus, Pasteur the hydrophobic lymph and now Koch the tubercle lymph.
He detached himself from the tilting control panel and sailed wildly about like a hydrophobic goldfish in a bowl of water.Master of the Moondog
- of or relating to hydrophobia
- chem tending not to dissolve in, mix with, or be wetted by watera hydrophobic colloid Compare hydrophilic
Word Origin and History for hydrophobic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Repelling, tending not to combine with, or unable to dissolve in water.
- Of or exhibiting hydrophobia.