Origin of hypothyroidism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hypothyroidism
An underactive thyroid, known as hypothyroidism, is caused by an inadequate production of thyroid hormone.When You Don't Know Where to Turn
Steven J. Bartlett
- insufficient production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland
- any disorder, such as cretinism or myxoedema, resulting from this
- Insufficient production of thyroid hormones.
- A pathological condition resulting from thyroid insufficiency, which may lead to cretinism or myxedema.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- An abnormality of the thyroid gland characterized by insufficient production of thyroid hormone, which can result in a decreased basal metabolic rate, causing weight gain and fatigue. Compare hyperthyroidism.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.