- to regard with blind adoration, devotion, etc.
- to worship as a god.
- to practice idolatry: to idolize as did ancient Greece and Rome.
Also especially British, i·dol·ise.
Origin of idolize
SynonymsSee more synonyms for idolize on Thesaurus.com
1. adore, treasure, worship, dote upon.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for idolization
The fashion of the present day is the idolization of nature.
And Buddy attended Johnse with the devotion born of idolization.The Red Debt
What an amount of idolization have not the German authors of the last ten years wasted on Paris!Saunterings in and about London
If worship is confined to the idolization of the sun or the cat, every one realizes the temporality of the matter.The Positive Outcome of Philosophy
- (tr) to admire or revere greatly
- (tr) to worship as an idol
- (intr) to worship idols
Word Origin and History for idolization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper