- the condition of being unequal; lack of equality; disparity: inequality of size.
- social or economic disparity: inequality between the rich and the poor; widening income inequality in America.
- unequal opportunity or treatment resulting from this disparity: inequality in healthcare and education.
- disparity or relative inadequacy in natural endowments: a startling inequality of intellect, talents, and physical stamina.
- injustice; partiality.
- unevenness, as of surface.
- an instance of unevenness.
- variableness, as of climate.
- any component part of the departure from uniformity in astronomical phenomena, especially in orbital motion.
- the amount of such a departure.
- Mathematics. a statement that two quantities are unequal, indicated by the symbol ≠; alternatively, by the symbol <, signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is less than that following, or by the symbol >, signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is greater than that following.
Origin of inequality
Related Words for inequalitydiversity, discrimination, disparity, bias, injustice, unfairness, difference, dissimilarity, dissimilitude, variation, roughness, disproportion, partisanship, unevenness, asperity, unjustness, irregularity, contrast, imparity
Examples from the Web for inequality
Contemporary Examples of inequality
Parker tells of a new Texas struggling to deal with inequality.Will Texas Stay Texan?
December 29, 2014
Thomas Piketty raised the Big Questions this year about democracy and inequality.American Democracy Under Threat for 250 Years
December 28, 2014
Other shows have allowed gender and inequality to inspire some episodes: The Twilight Zone, for example.Science-Fiction TV Finds a New Muse: Feminism
November 29, 2014
Voters consistently list the economy and inequality as top concerns.Why Isn’t Prison Justice on the Ballot This Tuesday?
Inimai Chettiar, Abigail Finkelman
November 1, 2014
“Economic diversity” has entered the language as a standard way to talk about inequality in higher education.When Diversity Fails the Poor
September 28, 2014
Historical Examples of inequality
And the upshot of that dumb battle is inequality—and beauty.Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
The inequality of the contest adds greatly to the humour of the scene.The Republic
Hence there is a principle of inequality, and therefore of motion, in all time.Timaeus
Then the one partakes of inequality, and in respect of this the others are unequal to it?
That would imply likeness and unlikeness, equality and inequality.
- the state or quality of being unequal; disparity
- an instance of disparity
- lack of smoothness or regularity
- social or economic disparity
- a statement indicating that the value of one quantity or expression is not equal to another, as in x ≠ y
- a relationship between real numbers involving inequality: x may be greater than y, denoted by x > y, or less than y, denoted by x < y
- astronomy a departure from uniform orbital motion