- to look carefully at or over; view closely and critically: to inspect every part of the motor.
- to view or examine formally or officially: The general inspected the troops.
Origin of inspect
SynonymsSee more synonyms for inspect on Thesaurus.com
1. examine, scrutinize, investigate, study.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to examine closely, esp for faults or errors
- to scrutinize officially (a document, military personnel on ceremonial parade, etc)
C17: from Latin inspicere, from specere to look
Word Origin and History for inspectability
1620s, from Latin inspectus, past participle of inspicere "to look into" (see inspection). Related: Inspected; inspecting.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper