- a minute portion, piece, fragment, or amount; a tiny or very small bit: a particle of dust; not a particle of supporting evidence.
- one of the extremely small constituents of matter, as an atom or nucleus.
- an elementary particle, quark, or gluon.
- a body in which the internal motion is negligible.
- a clause or article, as of a document.
- (in some languages) one of the major form classes, or parts of speech, consisting of words that are neither nouns nor verbs, or of all uninflected words, or the like.
- such a word.
- a small word of functional or relational use, as an article, preposition, or conjunction, whether of a separate form class or not.
- Roman Catholic Church. a small piece of the Host given to each lay communicant in a Eucharistic service.
Origin of particle
SynonymsSee more synonyms for particle on Thesaurus.com
- an extremely small piece of matter; speck
- a very tiny amount; iotait doesn't make a particle of difference
- a function word, esp (in certain languages) a word belonging to an uninflected class having suprasegmental or grammatical functionthe Greek particles ``mēn'' and ``de'' are used to express contrast; questions in Japanese are indicated by the particle ``ka''; English ``up'' is sometimes regarded as an adverbial particle
- a common affix, such as re-, un-, or -ness
- physics a body with finite mass that can be treated as having negligible size, and internal structure
- See elementary particle
- RC Church a small piece broken off from the Host at Mass
- archaic a section or clause of a document
Word Origin and History for inter-particle
late 14c., "small part or division of a whole, minute portion of matter," from Latin particula "little bit or part, grain, jot," diminutive of pars (genitive partis) "part;" see part (n.). Particle physics attested from 1969. In construction, particle board (1957) is so called because it is made from chips and shavings of wood.
- A very small piece or part.
- An elementary particle.
- A subatomic particle.
- A very small piece of solid matter.
- An elementary particle, subatomic particle, or atomic nucleus. Also called corpuscle