- one of the extremely small constituents of matter, as an atom or nucleus.
- an elementary particle, quark, or gluon.
- a body in which the internal motion is negligible.
- (in some languages) one of the major form classes, or parts of speech, consisting of words that are neither nouns nor verbs, or of all uninflected words, or the like.
- such a word.
- a small word of functional or relational use, as an article, preposition, or conjunction, whether of a separate form class or not.
CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
Origin of particle
OTHER WORDS FROM particlepar·ti·cled, adjectivein·ter·par·ti·cle, adjective
Words nearby particle
Example sentences from the Web for particle
When the Higgs particle was discovered, everywhere I went I heard people wondering about its significance.The New 'Cosmos' Reboot Marks a Promising New Era for Science|Lawrence M. Krauss|March 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
After episodes of not-so-subtly mentioning the particle accelerator at S.T.A.R Labs, we finally get what we want.
After eight episodes of not-so-subtly mentioning the particle accelerator at S.T.A.R Labs, we finally get what we want.
For 50 years, scientists had predicted the existence of the particle we now know as Higgs boson, which gives mass to matter.
Instead, Davis said with a hearty chuckle, “Marshall gave me a book on particle physics to read overnight.”The Original Gone Girls: Dorothy Salisbury Davis and Other Forgotten Pioneers of Crime Fiction|Sarah Weinman|August 27, 2013|DAILY BEAST
There was not one particle of desire for evil left in my soul.Gospel Doctrine|Joseph F. Smith
It's the last folly ever to care, in an anxious way, the least particle more than one is absolutely forced.The Golden Bowl|Henry James
Strain it off clear, and when cold take off every particle of fat.The Lady's Own Cookery Book, and New Dinner-Table Directory;|Charlotte Campbell Bury
He merely mentioned that Sylvia was to be spared every particle of "painful knowledge."Sylvia's Marriage|Upton Sinclair
But the good old lady did not look a particle amazed, much to Dorothy's surprise.Pretty Madcap Dorothy|Laura Jean Libbey