- occurring or formed between times of glacial action.
Origin of interglacial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for interglacial
This we are to suppose was the cause of the interglacial epoch.
According to Penck and Brckner, therefore, the lss is of interglacial age.
The interglacial deposits, as described by Heer and others, are well known.
Interglacial ages were characterized by warmth and aridity as compared to the glacial ages.
The names of currently recognized glacial and interglacial ages of the Pleistocene are listed below.
- occurring or formed between periods of glacial action
- a period of comparatively warm climate between two glaciations, esp of the Pleistocene epoch
Word Origin and History for interglacial
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Occurring between glacial epochs.
- A comparatively short period of warmth during an overall period of glaciation. Interglacials are characterized both by the melting of ice and by a change in vegetation.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.