[ih-rey-nee-uh n, ih-rah-, ahy-rey-]
- of or relating to Iran, its inhabitants, or their language.
- of or relating to the Iranian languages.
- a subbranch of the Indo-European family of languages, including especially Persian, Pashto, Avestan, and Kurdish.
- an inhabitant of Iran; Persian.
Also I·ra·ni [ih-ran-ee, ih-rah-nee, ahy-rey-] /ɪˈræn i, ɪˈrɑ ni, aɪˈreɪ-/ (for defs 1, 4).
Origin of Iranian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for iranian
“Under Suleimani several military branches have taken shape [in Iraq] which are run by Iran and the Iranian military,” he said.What an Iranian Funeral Tells Us About the Wars in Iraq
January 6, 2015
A senior Iranian official in Pakistan later confirmed the strike took place, declining to elaborate.
Rights activists like Boledi, the Iranian Baluch dissident living in Sweden, harbor some of the same concerns.
A few weeks later, the militants carried out a series of raids on border posts, killing five Iranian policemen.
Saleem believes that the strike came from a nearby airbase across the Iranian border.
No doubt there were germs in the early Iranian religion of a priestly system.History of Religion
Airja in Zend stood both for “honourable” and for the name of the Iranian, people.Sagas from the Far East
By some it is regarded as a cluster of old Iranian crown jewels.
It may be a copy of a European carpet, or some Indian or Iranian antique.
Egyptian forms, compared with Semitic and Iranian forms, iii.
- a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Iran
- a branch of the Indo-European family of languages, divided into West Iranian (including Old Persian, Pahlavi, modern Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Tajik) and East Iranian (including Avestan, Sogdian, Pashto, and Ossetic)
- Also: Persian, Farsi the modern Persian language
- relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
- belonging to or relating to the Iranian branch of Indo-European
Word Origin and History for iranian
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper