- a republic in SW Asia, on the Mediterranean: formed as a Jewish state May 1948. 7984 sq. mi. (20,679 sq. km). Capital: Jerusalem.
- the people traditionally descended from Jacob; the Hebrew or Jewish people.
- a name given to Jacob after he had wrestled with the angel. Gen. 32:28.
- the northern kingdom of the Hebrews, including 10 of the 12 tribes, sometimes called by the name of the chief tribe, Ephraim. Capital: Samaria.
- a group considered by its members or by others as God's chosen people.
- a male given name.
Origin of Israel
Examples from the Web for israel
Contemporary Examples of israel
In Israel, however, a new law took effect January 1st that banned the use of underweight models.
Models in Israel will have to maintain a BMI of 18.5 or higher if they want to stay employed.
If the Israel model ban were directed towards disordered eating, Ravin says she would support it whole-heartedly.
At some point during his busy schedule, Israel found the time to write a book, titled The Global War on Morris.Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’
January 7, 2015
Anthony Goldstein probably chose a trip to the Quidditch World Cup over his Birthright trip to Israel.Harry Potter and the Torah of Terror
Candida Moss, Joel Baden
January 4, 2015
Historical Examples of israel
Israel relapsed into idolatry, and God punished them with the scourge of war.
Devote, then, ye mothers of Israel, devote your babes to piety and God!
It is said of Israel, "he gave them their request, but sent leanness into their soul."
To this he answered, "I am not sent, but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
He is a hound of Israel who would sell you to the best bidder.Leila, Complete
- a republic in SW Asia, on the Mediterranean Sea: established in 1948, in the former British mandate of Palestine, as a primarily Jewish state; 8 disputes with Arab neighbours (who did not recognize the state of Israel), erupted into full-scale wars in 1948, 1956, 1967 (the Six Day War), and 1973 (the Yom Kippur War). In 1993 Israel agreed to grant autonomous status to the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, according to the terms of a peace agreement with the PLO. Official languages: Hebrew and Arabic. Religion: Jewish majority, Muslim and Christian minorities. Currency: shekel. Capital: Jerusalem (international recognition withheld as East Jerusalem was annexed (1967) by Israel: UN recognized capital: Tel Aviv). Pop: 7 707 042 (2013 est). Area (including Golan Heights and East Jerusalem): 21 946 sq km (8473 sq miles)
- the ancient kingdom of the 12 Hebrew tribes at the SE end of the Mediterranean
- the kingdom in the N part of this region formed by the ten northern tribes of Israel in the 10th century bc and destroyed by the Assyrians in 721 bc
- informal the Jewish community throughout the world
Old English, "the Jewish people," from Latin Israel, from Greek, from Hebrew yisra'el "he that striveth with God" (Gen. xxxii.28), symbolic proper name conferred on Jacob and extended to his descendants, from sara "he fought, contended" + El "God." As an independent Jewish state in the country formerly called Palestine, it is attested from 1948.
Republic in the Middle East, formerly part of Palestine. Israel is bordered by Lebanon to the north, Syria and Jordan to the east, the Gulf of Aqaba (an arm of the Red Sea) to the south, Egypt (see also Egypt) to the southwest, and the Mediterranean Sea to the west. Its capital and largest city is Jerusalem (see also Jerusalem).