Origin of jordan
- Barbara Charline,1936–96, U.S. politician.
- David Starr [stahr] /stɑr/, 1851–1931, U.S. biologist and educator.
- June,1936–2002, U.S. poet, novelist, and essayist.
- Ma·rie En·ne·mond Ca·mille [ma-ree enuh-mawn ka-mee-yuh] /maˈri ɛnəˈmɔ̃ kaˈmi yə/, 1838–1922, French mathematician.
- Michael JeffreyAir JordanHis Airness, born 1963, U.S. basketball player.
- Official name Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. a kingdom in SW Asia, consisting of the former Transjordan and a part of Palestine that, since 1967, has been occupied by Israel. 37,264 sq. mi. (96,514 sq. km). Capital: Amman.
- a river in SW Asia, flowing from S Lebanon through the Sea of Galilee, then S between Israel and Jordan through W Jordan into the Dead Sea. 200 miles (320 km) long.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for jordan
Contemporary Examples of jordan
Jordan also banned it, and Malaysia, Egypt, and Indonesia subjected it to their censorship boards.When Countries Lose Their Shit Over American Movies
December 17, 2014
I eventually left the West Bank for Jordan with a visa I obtained from the French embassy.What It’s Like to Be an Atheist in Palestine
Waleed al-Husseini, Movements.Org
December 8, 2014
Kim was known for a rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle, as was Jordan Belfort, familiar to film lovers as the Wolf of Wall Street.The Zillionaires Who Lost Everything
October 26, 2014
Jordan Younger knew her raw vegan diet had become an unhealthy obsession when she started avoiding going out with friends.Orthorexia: When Healthy Eating Becomes an Obsession
October 25, 2014
Queen Raina of Jordan also spoke, calling the refugee crisis in Syria “a slap in the face of humanity.”Ebola and America’s Childish Narcissism
October 18, 2014
Historical Examples of jordan
The Jews have crossed the river Jordan and have occupied Palestine.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
Gilead abode beyond Jordan, and why did Dan remain in ships?Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I
Francis Augustus Cox
Jordan, who by this time had met with some success in literature, came to his assistance.A Zola Dictionary
J. G. Patterson
Reader, will you say that you have never met with Jordan Algrieve?
The Jordan is not a little river to be loved: it is a barrier to be passed over.Out-of-Doors in the Holy Land
Henry Van Dyke
- a kingdom in SW Asia: coextensive with the biblical Moab, Gilead, and Edom; made a League of Nations mandate and emirate under British control in 1922 and became an independent kingdom in 1946; territories west of the River Jordan and the Jordanian part of Jerusalem (intended to be part of an autonomous Palestine) were occupied by Israel after the war of 1967. It contains part of the Great Rift Valley and consists mostly of desert. Official language: Arabic. Official religion: (Sunni) Muslim. Currency: dinar. Capital: Amman. Pop: 6 482 081 (2013 est). Area: 89 185 sq km (34 434 sq miles)Official name: Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan Former name (1922–49): Trans-Jordan
- the chief and only perennial river of Israel and Jordan, rising in several headstreams in Syria and Lebanon, and flowing south through the Sea of Galilee to the Dead Sea: occupies the N end of the Great Rift Valley system and lies mostly below sea level. Length: over 320 km (200 miles)
- Michael (Jeffrey). born 1963, US basketball player
- Neil. born 1950, Irish film director and writer; his films include The Company of Wolves (1984), Mona Lisa (1986), The Crying Game (1992), Michael Collins (1996), The End of the Affair (2000), and The Brave One (2007)
Word Origin and History for jordan
river in ancient Palestine; the crossing of it is symbolic of death in high-flown language as a reference to Num. xxxiii:51. The modern nation-state dates to 1921.