- a devoutly religious woman of the ancient Jews who saved her town from conquest by entering the camp of the besieging Assyrian army and cutting off the head of its commander, Holofernes, while he slept.
- a book of the Apocrypha and Douay Bible bearing her name. Abbreviation: Jud.
- a river in central Montana, flowing N from the Little Belt Mountains to the Missouri River. 124 miles (200 km) long.
- a female given name.
Origin of Judith
Examples from the Web for judith
Contemporary Examples of judith
They sacrifice their shelter to contain the walkers—and Judith gets her first action scene!The Walking Dead’s Midseason Finale Shocker: A Cherished Character Meets a Grisly End
December 1, 2014
Several years ago, a 99-year-old woman called Judith Schwarz to her Manhattan apartment.The Nurse Coaching People Through Death by Starvation
November 17, 2014
Rick must shepherd his newborn daughter, Judith, through this world of peril.The Walking Dead’s Luke Skywalker: Rick Grimes Is the Perfect Modern-Day Mythical Hero
October 28, 2014
Judith Barnett is a lawyer/ international trade consultant representing global companies in the Middle East.Whither the Women’s Movement?
July 19, 2014
She would have done the same to Judith, except that Carol and Tyreese interrupted her.'The Grove': Was The Walking Dead's Latest Shocker a Mistake?
March 17, 2014
Historical Examples of judith
Had she grown so accustomed to her aunt Judith's estimate of Mabel that she could accept it?
"Never mind about Aunt Judith," interrupted Decatur, firmly.
But the police were in the hall, and Judith had come to the dining-room door.
"I'd hang them two policemen, if I did what I should like to do," responded Judith.
In process of time the girl's work was discovered—discovered by Judith.
- the heroine of one of the books of the Apocrypha, who saved her native town by decapitating Holofernes
- the book recounting this episode
fem. proper name, from Latin, from Greek Ioudith, from Hebrew Yehudith, fem. of Yehudh "Jewish, Jewess," from Yehudha (see Judah). Judy is a pet form of it.