- any of several marine food fishes of the drum family, especially of the genus Menticirrhus, found off the E coast of the U.S.
- Also called white croaker. a marine food fish, Genyonemus lineatus, found off the Californian coast.
- king mackerel.
- a large game fish, Seriola grandis, found in Australia and New Zealand, closely related to the yellowtail.
- any of various other fishes noted especially for their size.
- Informal. a person regarded as a leader or authority: a kingfish in Democratic Party circles.
Origin of kingfish
Related Words for kingfishjudge, law, expert, administrator, ruler, head, director, chief, officer, captain, commandant, upstairs, pro, executive, textbook, whiz, egghead, aristocrat, pundit, guru
Examples from the Web for kingfish
Contemporary Examples of kingfish
The "Kingfish" popularized the catch phrase "Holy Mackerel!"Herman Cain’s Failure to Be a ‘MackDaddy’ Killed His Campaign
December 4, 2011
A correspondent wrote that Johnson’s attack had managed to transform the Kingfish ‘from a clown into a real political menace.How to Beat the Demagogues
March 27, 2010
We had Father Coughlin and the Kingfish, Huey Long, railing against Franklin Roosevelt.Introducing Beast Books
January 22, 2010
Historical Examples of kingfish
Mostly they are caught by accident while drags are set for kingfish or barracuda.
For its size, the kingfish is considered the gamest of all salt-water fishes.Bass, Pike, Perch, and Others
James Alexander Henshall
But as I fish for sailfish with a free-running reel, of course I am exasperated when a kingfish takes hold.
Kingfish are savage strikers and they almost invariably hook themselves when the drag is set.
Put two kingfish on a buttered platter or pan, season with salt and pepper, add a glass of white wine, put in oven and bake.The Hotel St. Francis Cook Book
- any marine sciaenid food and game fish of the genus Menticirrhus, occurring in warm American Atlantic coastal waters
- another name for opah
- any of various other large food fishes, esp the Spanish mackerel
- Also called: (NZ) haku a large food and game fish, Seriola lalandi lalandi, of New Zealand waters