- a country in SE Asia: formerly part of French Indochina. 91,500 sq. mi. (236,985 sq. km). Capital: Vientiane.
- a member of a people of Laos and northern Thailand.
- the language of these people, belonging to the Thai group of languages.
Examples from the Web for laos
Contemporary Examples of laos
Compared with neighbors Myanmar, Vietnam, and Laos, Cambodia appears to have a blossoming civil society.Cambodia’s Smoke-and-Mirrors Democracy
January 9, 2015
He was pursued by law-enforcement officials from Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, and China.How China Used Drones to Capture a Notorious Burmese Drug Lord
April 17, 2014
Later she founded an NGO that operates safe havens for victims of the sex trade in Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos.Women in the World: Somaly Mam, Cambodia
The Daily Beast
March 6, 2011
Also tied, Kazakhstan and Bhutan are happier than Moldova, but sadder than Laos.Who's the Happiest?
August 16, 2010
“She will tell the court, otherwise she will stay here,” Nuanthasing told reporters in Laos.Will Her Unborn Child Save Her?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
May 21, 2009
Historical Examples of laos
There are two distinct tribes of Laos inhabiting this district.Travels in the Far East
Ellen Mary Hayes Peck
The idol is said to have fallen from heaven into one of the Laos states.The Kingdom of the Yellow Robe
In the thirty-eight villages in which they live there are neither Shans nor Laos.The Pacification of Burma
Sir Charles Haukes Todd Crosthwaite
A settlement, though still precarious, has been reached in Laos.
In Siam, what little is known of dancing is confined to the people of Laos.The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce, Volume 8
- a republic in SE Asia: first united as the kingdom of Lan Xang ("million elephants") in 1353, after being a province of the Khmer Empire for about four centuries; made part of French Indochina in 1893 and gained independence in 1949; became a republic in 1975. It is generally forested and mountainous, with the Mekong River running almost the whole length of the W border. Official language: Laotian. Religion: Buddhist majority, tribal religions. Currency: kip. Capital: Vientiane. Pop: 6 695 166 (2013 est). Area: 236 800 sq km (91 429 sq miles)Official name: People's Democratic Republic of Laos
- another name for Laotian
- Laos (international car registration)
Southeast Asian land, from the name of legendary founder Lao. Related: Laotian.