- past; gone by; earlier; former: The faded photograph brought memories of bygone days.
- Usually bygones. that which is past: Let's not talk of bygones.
- let bygones be bygones, to decide to forget past disagreements; become reconciled: Let's let bygones be bygones and be friends again.
Origin of bygone
Related Words for let bygones be bygonesignore, disregard, excuse, condone, forget, absolve, stomach, whitewash, forgive, take, handle, efface, purge, acquit, amnesty, palliate, spring, clear, overlook, remit
- (usually prenominal) past; former
- (often plural) a past occurrence
- (often plural) an artefact, implement, etc, of former domestic or industrial use, now often collected for interest
- let bygones be bygones to agree to forget past quarrels
Let bygones be bygones
Let past offenses and problems stay in the past; don't let them taint the present.
let bygones be bygones
What's done is done; don't worry about the past, especially past errors or grievances. For example, Bill and Tom shook hands and agreed to let bygones be bygones. [First half of 1600s]