- Also called sur·vey·or's lev·el. an instrument for observing levels, having a sighting device, usually telescopic, and capable of being made precisely horizontal.
- an observation made with this instrument.
- spirit level.
- a discrete section in game design or narrative that ends with a culminating event, as a boss battle.
- character level.
- to take a level.
- to use a leveling instrument.
- Aeronautics. to maintain a constant altitude after a climb or descent.
- to become stable; reach a constant or limit.
- to make even or smooth.
- (in a video game or tabletop game) to obtain a higher character level or skill rank, or improve the quality or performance statistics of an object, as a weapon.
- to perform at a higher standard than expected, or show vast improvement: It’s possible for a small business to level up and land big clients.Your date is smokin’ hot—way to level up, bro!
OTHER WORDS FOR level
Idioms about level
Origin of level
synonym study for level
OTHER WORDS FROM level
Words nearby level
How to use level in a sentence
Democrats successfully argued for the case to be decided first at the state level.
There was no better pitcher in Major League Baseball over the last two seasons than Jacob deGrom,3 and in this shortened season he had taken his performance to another level.
On another level, I’m pleased by the many people who have worked for me and who will take these references and put their blend into it.Christian Puglisi Is Closing His Influential Copenhagen Restaurants. COVID Is Only Partly to Blame|Rafael Tonon|September 17, 2020|Eater
However, adopting Total Investment Impact would require a level of trust that advertisers may be reticent to give.NBCUniversal tests new measurement program to prove it can push product sales for advertisers|Tim Peterson|September 17, 2020|Digiday
First, the Apple Watch Series 6, starting at $400, includes a new blood-oxygen-level sensor, an altimeter to measure altitude, and a newer faster processor branded the S6.Everything announced at Apple’s ‘Time Flies’ event today|rhhackettfortune|September 15, 2020|Fortune
If she got caught with a shank, they would up her custody level.How a ‘Real Housewife’ Survives Prison: ‘I Don’t See [Teresa Giudice] Having a Cakewalk Here’|Michael Howard|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
However, the Air Force is so strapped for people that the ratio has dropped below even that reduced level.Exclusive: U.S. Drone Fleet at ‘Breaking Point,’ Air Force Says|Dave Majumdar|January 5, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“The level of outside support… has not been sufficient enough for them to distance themselves from al Nusra,” Cafarella said.
Occasionally, a level will take 20 or more strokes to complete.Lost For Thousands of Strokes: 'Desert Golfing' Is 'Angry Birds' as Modern Art|Alec Kubas-Meyer|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination fell 94 percent—from 4,831 to 300.
"Here's my authority, yuh blasted runt," he yelled, and jerked his six-shooter to a level with the policeman's breast.Raw Gold|Bertrand W. Sinclair
Yet a child coming under the humanising influences of culture soon gets far away from the level of the savage.Children's Ways|James Sully
The height of the tower from the level of the street is 105 feet, the slated towers over the lateral pediments being smaller.Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham|Thomas T. Harman and Walter Showell
We were about nine hours of fair daylight traversing 160 miles of level or descending grade, with a light passenger train.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
By its operation Gordon Wright, the most sensible man of our acquaintance, is reduced to the level of infancy!Confidence|Henry James
British Dictionary definitions for level
Derived forms of levellevelly, adverblevelness, noun
Word Origin for level
Medical definitions for level
Other Idioms and Phrases with level
In addition to the idioms beginning with level
- level best
- level off
- level with someone
- do one's (level) best
- on the level