Words nearby lie-in
Definition for lie in (2 of 3)
noun Chiefly British.
Origin of lie-in2
Definition for lie in (3 of 3)
verb (used without object), lay, lain, ly·ing.
- to pause for rest; stop activities, work, etc., temporarily.
- to lie unused: Ever since the last member of the family died, the old house has lain by.
- to be confined to bed in childbirth.
- Chiefly British. to stay in bed longer than usual, especially in the morning.
- to lie at rest; stay in bed.
- (of a ship) to dock or remain in dock.
- to be the duty or function of: The decision in this matter lies with him.
- Archaic. to have sexual intercourse with.
Origin of lie2
usage note for lie
British Dictionary definitions for lie in (1 of 4)
verb (intr, adverb)
British Dictionary definitions for lie in (2 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for lie in (3 of 4)
verb lies, lying or lied
- to disprove
- to accuse of lying
Other words from lieRelated adjective: mendacious
Word Origin for lie
British Dictionary definitions for lie in (4 of 4)
verb lies, lying, lay (leɪ) or lain (leɪn) (intr)
- to be or rest (with)the ultimate decision lies with you
- archaic to have sexual intercourse (with)
- to keep or be concealed or quiet
- to wait for a favourable opportunity
- the position of the ball after a shota bad lie
- the angle made by the shaft of the club before the upswing
- the topography of the land
- the way in which a situation is developing or people are behaving
Word Origin for lie
Medical definitions for lie in
Idioms and Phrases with lie in (1 of 2)
Be in confinement for childbirth, as in She thought she'd be lying in by next week. This usage is probably dying out. The name of Boston's Lying-In Hospital was changed to Women's Hospital in the 1970s. [Mid-1400s]
Also, lie in one's hands or in one's power. Rest or depend on something or someone, as in The solution lies in research, or The decision lies in the President's hands, or It does not lie in my power to turn this situation around. [Mid-1300s] Also see lie in wait; lie through one's teeth.
Idioms and Phrases with lie in (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with lie
- lie down
- lie in
- lie in state
- lie in wait
- lie low
- lie through one's teeth
- lie with
- barefaced lie
- give the lie to
- (lie) in state
- lay of the land (how the land lies)
- let sleeping dogs lie
- make one's bed and lie in it
- take lying down
- white lie