- not endowed with life; having no life; inanimate: lifeless matter.
- destitute of living things: a lifeless planet.
- deprived of life; dead: a battlefield strewn with lifeless bodies.
- without animation, liveliness, or spirit; dull; colorless; torpid: a lifeless performance of a play.
- insensible, as a person who has fainted.
Origin of lifeless
Synonyms for lifelessSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for lifeless
Related Words for lifelesslyblandly, dully, lifelessly, monotonously, sluggishly, unenthusiastically
Examples from the Web for lifelessly
Historical Examples of lifelessly
"I suppose so," Norma conceded, lifelessly, after a silence.The Beloved Woman
But he had not gone very far when he sagged against the pommel, lifelessly.'Drag' Harlan
Charles Alden Seltzer
Cherry said lifelessly, looking up at her sister with dulled eyes.Sisters
After a time he said lifelessly, "Go on with the inventory, Paul."West Of The Sun
"Good-night, Luce," she said lifelessly as they reached the verandah.Poppy
- without life; inanimate; dead
- not sustaining living organisms
- having no vitality or animation