- full or suggestive of life or vital energy; active, vigorous, or brisk: a lively discussion.
- animated, spirited, vivacious, or sprightly: a lively tune; a lively wit.
- eventful, stirring, or exciting: The opposition gave us a lively time.
- bustling with activity; astir: The marketplace was lively with vendors.
- strong, keen, or distinct; vivid: a lively recollection.
- striking, telling, or effective, as an expression or instance.
- vivid or bright, as color or light: a lively pink.
- sparkling, as wines.
- fresh or invigorating, as air: a lively breeze.
- rebounding quickly; springing back; resilient: a lively tennis ball.
- riding the sea buoyantly, as a ship.
- with briskness, vigor, or animation; briskly: to step lively.
Origin of lively
SynonymsSee more synonyms for lively on Thesaurus.com
1. alert, spry, nimble, agile, quick, pert. 2. gay, buoyant. 5. forceful, clear. 7. brilliant, clear, glowing.
1. inactive, torpid. 2. dull. 5. weak. 7. dim.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for livelier
It was the same debate that stumped the supercommittee, just livelier.Grover Norquist: Don’t Give an Inch on Taxes!
December 1, 2011
The American's heart beat a livelier tempo at the suggestion.The Black Bag
Louis Joseph Vance
Sydney was none the livelier and none the soberer for so much application.A Tale of Two Cities
Hazarding the looking-glass, she thought that she could detect a livelier iris too.Love and Lucy
Maurice Henry Hewlett
"Tell me some of your plans," said she, with a livelier interest than she had yet shown.The Bramleighs Of Bishop's Folly
Charles James Lever
Petrea's hands bled in consequence of this operation, but that only made her the livelier.The Home
- full of life or vigour
- vivacious or animated, esp when in company
- busy; eventful
- characterized by mental or emotional intensity; vivid
- having a striking effect on the mind or senses
- refreshinga lively breeze
- springy or bouncy or encouraging springinessa lively ball
- (of a boat or ship) readily responsive to the helm
- in a brisk mannerstep lively
- look lively (interjection) make haste
Word Origin and History for livelier
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper