- affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
- destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
- lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
- remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
- standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.
Origin of lonely
Synonyms for lonelySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for lonelinessheartache, desolation, solitude, alienation, aloneness, withdrawal, solitariness, seclusion, remoteness, forlornness, lonesomeness
Examples from the Web for loneliness
Contemporary Examples of loneliness
She spent almost two years in a nursing home – two years of loneliness she would like to forget.Care Providers Fight for $15 and a Union
Jasmin Almodovar, Shirley Thompson
December 5, 2014
It suggests that love and loneliness are not separate things.Wonder Woman’s Creation Story Is Wilder Than You Could Ever Imagine
November 3, 2014
These include tips on how to avoid boredom, loneliness, frustration, and anxiety.Zen, Motorcycles, And The Cult of Tech: How Robert Pirsig’s Classic Anticipated the Future
August 31, 2014
You feel a horrible, self-punishing sense of isolation and loneliness.We're Talking About Depression All Wrong
August 20, 2014
That incorporates all of the happiness—beaches, sledding, love—and pain—war, death, loneliness.Why 'The Giver' Movie Will Disappoint the Book's Fans
August 15, 2014
Historical Examples of loneliness
It's the cursed fear of loneliness and the fear of having time to think.Way of the Lawless
But into his loneliness and despair the girl had came like a ray of light.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
To-night—to-night, he is rocking just the same, in silence, in loneliness.The Bacillus of Beauty
He felt reassured in a measure, but a sense of loneliness filled him.The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
I should die of misery and fright and loneliness in this awful jungle.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
- unhappy as a result of being without the companionship of othersa lonely man
- causing or resulting from the state of being alonea lonely existence
- isolated, unfrequented, or desolate
- without companions; solitary