- the state of being in childbed; confinement.
- pertaining to or providing facilities for childbirth: a lying-in hospital.
Origin of lying-in
Related Words for lying-indelivery, childbirth, travail, bearing, creation, accouchement, childbearing, birthing, nascency, labor, beginning, parturition, nativity, natality, producing
Examples from the Web for lying-in
Historical Examples of lying-in
The number of the pregnancy affects the danger to be expected from lying-in.
The duration of labor also influences the mortality of lying-in.
It was wrong, she told Aaron, for an Amishwoman to have heathen midwives at her lying-in.Blind Man's Lantern
Allen Kim Lang
It is eight weeks since her lying-in, and she cannot yet stand upon her feet.Private Papers of William Wilberforce
He took him then to the apartment of the lying-in woman, that he might view the child.The Fairy Mythology
- confinement in childbirth
- (as modifier)a lying-in hospital
- A state attending childbirth.
- Of or intended for use during childbirth.