- a device that transmits or modifies force or motion.
- Also called simple machine. any of six or more elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane.
- Also called complex machine. a combination of simple machines.
- an automobile or airplane.
- a typewriter.
verb (used with object), ma·chined, ma·chin·ing.
FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of machine
OTHER WORDS FROM machinema·chine·less, adjectivean·ti·ma·chine, adjectiveun·ma·chined, adjective
Words nearby machine
Example sentences from the Web for machine
The billionaire philanthropist tastes the product of a machine that processes human sewage into drinking water and electricity.
They were the machine gun bullets coming from the ambush when my company got hit.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Check: “This atom smashing business is going to herald the final victory of the machine.”Mailer’s Letters Pack a Punch and a Surprising Degree of Sweetness|Ronald K. Fried|December 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The player starts out with a fleet of three or four ships (depending on the machine), which he operates one at a time.
The machine, Rains said, would record scores of up to 1,000,000 points.
The lower hook is so adjusted that the hind wheel rests in it, thus forming a perfect support for the machine.
He had just attached the machine and at this point it was not turned on.Warren Commission (3 of 26): Hearings Vol. III (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
These things of the first importance, had not been placed upon our machine.
A bell is automatically rung by the machine to warn the attendant that the desired length has been deposited into the can.
The wrenches that go with the machine, and the common malleable iron caps for the top cylinder, are shown in detail.
British Dictionary definitions for machine
- (modifier) denoting a firearm that is fully automatic as distinguished from semiautomatic
- (in combination)machine pistol; machine gun