- great in quantity, measure, or degree: too much cake.
- a great quantity, measure, or degree: Much of his research was unreliable.
- a great, important, or notable thing or matter: The house is not much to look at.
- to a great extent or degree; greatly; far: to talk too much; much heavier.
- nearly, approximately, or about: This is much like the others.
- make much of,
- to treat, represent, or consider as of great importance: to make much of trivial matters.
- to treat with great consideration; show fondness for; flatter.
- much as,
- almost the same as: We need exercise, much as we need nourishment.
- however much: Much as she wanted to stay at the party, she had to leave.
- not so much, Informal. not(def 3).
Origin of much
- (usually used with a negative)a great quantity or degree ofthere isn't much honey left
- (as pronoun)much has been learned from this
- a bit much informal rather excessive
- as much exactly thatI suspected as much when I heard
- make much of See make of (def. 4)
- not much of not to any appreciable degree or extenthe's not much of an actor really
- not up to much informal of a low standardthis beer is not up to much
- think much of (used with a negative) to have a high opinion ofI don't think much of his behaviour
- considerablythey're much better now
- practically; nearly (esp in the phrase much the same)
- (usually used with a negative) often; a great dealit doesn't happen much in this country
- much as or as much as even though; althoughmuch as I'd like to, I can't come
- (predicative; usually used with a negative) impressive or importantthis car isn't much
Word Origin and History for make much of
Idioms and Phrases with make much of
make much of
Treat or consider as very important; also, pay someone a lot of favorable attention. For example, Bill made much of the fact that he'd been to Europe three times, or Whenever Alice came home for a visit they made much of her. [c. 1300]
In addition to the idioms beginning with much
- much ado about nothing
- much as
- much less
- much sought after
- as much
- as much as
- make much of
- not miss a trick (much)
- not think much of
- pretty much
- so much
- so much for
- so much the better
- (much) sought after
- take it (just so much)
- take on (too much)
- too much of a good thing
- without so much as