verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
- to provide information on (a horse) running in a particular race, especially for a fee.
- to spy on (a horse in training) in order to gain information for the purpose of betting.
- a person who gives information on a horse, especially for a fee.
- Chiefly British. a person who spies on a horse in training for the purpose of betting.
Words nearby tout
Origin of tout
Examples from the Web for tout
The audience--tout Hollywood--stands to cheer his slow and painful trek from the wings to the table.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A liberal group supporting Hillary Clinton tries to tout her pro-middle class bonafides.
But every few years a news article will tout the increased popularity of rabbit as an American dinner item.
That big brain we so tout today was shaped by the mammoths we hunted, by the great cats and bears that sometimes stalked us.
They tout engaging plot lines, sharp illustrations and alluring wines that capture immediate attention.'The Drops of God': Wine Books You Will Actually Want to Read|Jordan Salcito|January 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Tout l'ocan du grand Neptune pourrait-il laver ce sang de ma main?Major Prophets of To-Day|Edwin E. Slosson
In Paris tout le monde—everybody he think differently of those things—no?Valley of Dreams|Stanley Grauman Weinbaum
The "tipster" in Wall Street is like the tout on the race track.Profitable Stock Exchange Investments|Henry Voorce Brandenburg
Tout le monde perdra, et à la fin il n'y aura que des vaincus.In the World War|Count Ottokar Czernin
Tout a ne se dessine pas du tout bien, tu sais, mais pas du tout, tu comprends!The Early Life and Adventures of Sylvia Scarlett|Compton Mackenzie
British Dictionary definitions for tout
- to spy on racehorses being trained in order to obtain information for betting purposes
- to sell, or attempt to sell, such information or to take bets, esp in public places
- a person who spies on racehorses so as to obtain betting information to sell
- a person who sells information obtained by such spying