- an Italian nobleman, equivalent in rank to a marquis.
Origin of marchese
- an Italian noblewoman, equivalent in rank to a marquise.
- the wife or widow of a marchese.
Origin of marchesa
Examples from the Web for marchese
Historical Examples of marchese
Ere he had made up his mind upon this point, the Marchese had lost the venture.
The Marchese no longer troubled himself to deal to the others.
At length the Marchese had lost five hundred ducats to Casanova and Lorenzi.
"Till to-morrow, then, my dear Chevalier," said the Marchese.
The Marchese, who was in a jovial mood, opened a bank for them.
- (in Italy) a nobleman ranking below a prince and above a count; marquis
- (in Italy) the wife or widow of a marchese; marchioness