- matrix(def 14).
- a tape or disk from which duplicates may be made.
verb (used with object)
Origin of master
Examples from the Web for mastering
But truth be told, I never came close to mastering the language despite my excellent grades.
The Macallan represents a lifestyle; the kind that represents a person set on mastering their craft.
I would say timing and mastering topography were two of them.
The positives of meditation are many, but mastering the practice can be a challenge.High-Tech Meditation: Swap Your Yogi for a Headset|Gregory Ferenstein|April 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Rather, he seems intent on mastering one particular but highly important element of it: empathy.
He heard faintly the howling of the dogs, and had a fleeting thought that in the mastering of his flesh the frost no longer bit.The Turtles of Tasman|Jack London
"I crave thy pardon, Mistress Fawkes," he continued with a bow, mastering his surprise.The Fifth of November|Charles S. Bentley
I had spent my days in mastering an inadequate and archaic code—why?A Far Country, Complete|Winston Churchill
More than once she has seemed on the point of mastering the nations of the West.The Conquest of New France|George M. Wrong
When all this is done, one of the most important tasks remains: that of mastering time in all its branches.
British Dictionary definitions for mastering (1 of 2)
- a person with exceptional skill at a certain thinga master of the violin
- (as modifier)a master thief
- a person who has complete control of a situation
- an abstract thing regarded as having power or influencethey regarded fate as the master of their lives
- a workman or craftsman fully qualified to practise his trade and to train others in it
- (as modifier)master carpenter
- an original copy, stencil, tape, etc, from which duplicates are made
- (as modifier)master copy
Derived Formsmasterdom, nounmasterhood, nounmasterless, adjectivemastership, noun
Word Origin for master
British Dictionary definitions for mastering (2 of 2)
Idioms and Phrases with mastering
see past master.