- to make mechanical.
- to operate or perform by or as if by machinery.
- to introduce machinery into (an industry, enterprise, etc.), especially in order to replace manual labor.
- Military. to equip with tanks and other armored vehicles.
Also especially British, mech·a·nise.
Origin of mechanize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to equip (a factory, industry, etc) with machinery
- to make mechanical, automatic, or monotonous
- to equip (an army, etc) with motorized or armoured vehicles
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper