- a mathematical process, as addition, multiplication, or differentiation.
- the action of applying a mathematical process to a quantity or quantities.
- a campaign, mission, maneuver, or action.
- Usually operations. the conduct of a campaign, mission, etc.
- operations, a headquarters, office, or place from which a military campaign, air traffic to and from an airfield, or any of various other activities, is planned, conducted, and controlled.
- operations, the people who work at such a headquarters.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of operation
OTHER WORDS FROM operationmis·op·er·a·tion, nounpre·op·er·a·tion, nounre·op·er·a·tion, nounsub·op·er·a·tion, noun
Words nearby operation
Example sentences from the Web for operation
But they say its effect on the regular daily operation of organized crime has been negligible.
Their leader, Njie, still going by “Dave” during the operation, would stay a safe distance away until the State House was secure.The Shadowy U.S. Veteran Who Tried to Overthrow a Country|Jacob Siegel|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The campaign was known to palace insiders as “Operation Mrs. PB.”Pulled Documentary Says William Felt ‘Used’ by Charles’ Push for Camilla|Tom Sykes|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
If the operation caused no physical damage, it would be in bounds.
If it was the United States, the operation will test the bounds of international law.
The operation is carried out on the same lines as for recent fracture, the ends of the bones being rawed and adhesions divided.
This process would be so arbitrary and inequitable in its operation as to be intolerable.Proportional Representation Applied To Party Government|T. R. Ashworth and H. P. C. Ashworth
Commerce, however, fixed Kinshassa as its base of operation, and its expansion has been astonishing for that part of the world.An African Adventure|Isaac F. Marcosson
The blast furnaces were not hurt at all, and will be in operation as soon as a supply of coke can be obtained.The Johnstown Flood|Richard K. Fox
The operation was also performed with a sharpened Ethiopian stone, called tabona.Curiosities of Medical Experience|J. G. (John Gideon) Millingen
British Dictionary definitions for operation
- a military or naval action, such as a campaign, manoeuvre, etc
- (capital and prenominal when part of a name)Operation Crossbow
- any procedure, such as addition, multiplication, involution, or differentiation, in which one or more numbers or quantities are operated upon according to specific rules
- a function from a set onto itself