- Psychiatry. a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc.
- an obsession with doing extravagant or grand things.
Origin of megalomania
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for megalomania
Beethoven, of course, was no stranger to megalomania, and he even loved to brag to his friends about his vanity.Japan’s Beloved Deaf Composer is Neither Deaf Nor a Composer
February 13, 2014
This is not to suggest that Romney should aspire to megalomania of Newtonian proportions.Romney Cuts Loose O'Donnell, Perhaps Out of Ego
February 5, 2012
The old leonine fellow was transfigured, as though by megalomania.Sacrifice
Stephen French Whitman
But does that sort of megalomania express a genuine self-confidence?The Ordeal of Mark Twain
Van Wyck Brooks
For, if I could guess at the signs at all, it was megalomania.A Case in Camera
His comrades claimed that he was suffering from megalomania.A Little Garrison
Fritz von der Kyrburg
But the megalomania of the Teutons has only been one of the contributory causes.German Problems and Personalities
- a mental illness characterized by delusions of grandeur, power, wealth, etc
- informal a lust or craving for power
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for megalomania
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A psychopathological condition in which delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence predominate.
- An obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.