- of or relating to a minor league.
- of little import or consequence: a painter with a minor-league talent.
Origin of minor-league
Synonyms for minor-leagueSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- any association of professional sports teams other than the major leagues, especially when the member teams are associated with or controlled by major-league teams, which use them as training and proving teams for promising players.
Origin of minor league
Related Words for minor-leagueaccessory, bush-league, casual, dependent, dinky, inconsequential, inconsiderable, inferior, junior, lesser, light, low, lower, minus, negligible, paltry, petty, piddling, secondary, slight
Examples from the Web for minor-league
Contemporary Examples of minor-league
Yes, the minor-league baseball player memorably portrayed by Kevin Costner in Bull Durham.All The Wrong Reasons to Ban Gay Unions
November 7, 2014
The state of Georgia once had twenty-two minor-league towns; now it has only three.The Great Paul Hemphill Celebrates the Long Gone Birmingham Barons
March 29, 2014
O'Brien believes the major- and minor-league picture is outdated.Are Indie Presses the Minor Leagues of Publishing?
June 13, 2013
In 2010, he impersonated a minor-league pitcher to publicize a charity providing college scholarships to cancer survivors.What the Stars Hold For Your Week
Starsky + Cox
July 17, 2011
The spread in Us Weekly with some other minor-league celebrity on the beaches of St. Tropez?Wild Divorce Shakes D.C.
August 30, 2010
Historical Examples of minor-league
- US and Canadian any professional league in baseball other than a major leagueCompare major league
- (modifier) of relatively little importancethat firm is very minor league